Forum home Fruit & veg

Cooking Hamburg/root Parsley

How do you all cook the stuff, assuming anyone grows it?

I grew it last year for the first time, having never seen it before. I find it takes more cooking than parsnip, and I prefer to peel and slice, boil till nearly soft, then add to a dish such as a satay, a few minutes before it is finished. It seems to make a decent mash, along with parsnip and potato.

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Anyone care to beat the rush to post? 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,800

I've not grown it, but have eaten it shredded in a salad, a bit like celeriac remoulade - really good. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,321

Like scorzonera, it's not something I'm that keen on tbh Leif.  Because of that I'd cook it the way Aussies cook a galah:  Throw it on a fire with a couple of rocks.  When the rocks go soft you can eat it! image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Thanks all. Not sure I approve of the Aussie recipe. image I am coming to rather like it, having made a vegetable and lentil soup last night, very nice. I will try it shredded/grated. Clearly this is not a popular veggie. Last year I gave seeds to some friends and they are growing it again this year, so I am not the only one who considers it worth trying again.