Forum home Plants

Which Hebe?

Could you help me identify this type of Hebe? From photos it looks like a couple of different varieties. I have been given two plants to go in my new semi-raised border, which is sunny in Spring/Summer - semi shade now. See pic. I have just planted two Hanky Panky roses and there are two obelisks for climbers. I plan to add more roses from existing containers. My soil is quite sandy. I am wondering how big the Hebes will get and if they flower?  I moved a similar, but pink tinged, Hebe from my front garden to the R side raised bed (previously a red fish pond) at the back, as it looked 'lonely' - didn't seem to put on much new growth and I want to grow larger shrubs in the front garden - which is south facing and gets very hot in Summer. 

This brings me to my 2nd question - ideas please for two matching container plants to go each side of the front door. I have roses there now but they get baked in the sun - which is a problem when I'm away. The containers are big, which are difficult to move. I plan to put the existing roses (climbers) around an arch in my back garden, which has had it's makeover! I have posted 'before (estate agent pics taken in Summer) and after' (recent) photos. What do you think of my 'faux' old brick wall? Previously painted doorstep red like rest of garden!    Sorry if post is rather long/lot of photos.

• Thanks Tetley. I thought I'd replied to your post but couldn't find it! I have lots of Lavender - planted a row of Hidcote last year and inherited several bushes. Pelargoniums are a good idea - I brought some cuttings back from France last year (pink with crimson splashes, quite unusual) and they are coming on in my shed. I also have a couple of tree stumps! Hope to collect more. image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,922

I think it may be Hebe rakkiensis.

Fastigiate Yews look nice framing a door.

He calls her the chocolate girl
    Cause he thinks she melts when he touches her
    She knows she's the chocolate girl
    Cause she's broken up and swallowed
    And wrapped in bits of silver
  • Thanks. I looked at pics of Rakiensis and it certainly looks the same. I wll look at the F /Yews.image

• Thanks Tetley. I thought I'd replied to your post but couldn't find it! I have lots of Lavender - planted a row of Hidcote last year and inherited several bushes. Pelargoniums are a good idea - I brought some cuttings back from France last year (pink with crimson splashes, quite unusual) and they are coming on in my shed. I also have a couple of tree stumps! Hope to collect more. image