Greenhouse on Decking?

Can I put an 8 X 10 greenhouse on decking?  Can I screw the base onto decking?  Am I heading for disaster?  I will buy toughened glass and bar capping.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,037

You could but will have to dismantle it a few years down the line when the decking rots.   The humid conditions and condensation running down the glass inside a greenhouse will probably accelerate that happening too.  Wood preservative is toxic and something you definitely want to avoid using anywhere near a greenhouse, so that's not really an option to prolong the life of the decking.

I would put the effort in now to either remove the decking and build a proper base or put the greenhouse somewhere else.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thank you - brilliant advice.  I will try and find a good gardener to take up the decking and put some paving slabs down.  Again - thank you.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690

That's a good idea, think of the rats under the decking, they may come into your greenhouse in the winter. I have mice in mine.

you can't beat a good base for a greenhouse.

i wouldn't ask a  gardener to take up the decking and lay slabs, gardeners can be very expensive.  Try someone in the building trade, or even a man friend could do it.

oops! Sexist remark, even a strong friend could do itimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 22,194

tee hee @ " even a man "

Devon.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,690

I know! I could have deleted, but you what a devil I can be.imageimage

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• 1Runnybeak11Runnybeak1 Posts: 8,485

Definatley not decking Luchris.   As well as what has already been said, the compost gets all in the ridges and it's not easy to sweep out and keep clean.    With slabs it's great, water, sweep whatever and slabs hold the heat when the weather igets nice and hot.  Did I really just say that ?  Heat !!!!  

As Lyn said,  rats love a bit of decking.   Its worth the effort to get it right first time.