Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace"

I bought a Sambucus Nigra "Black Lace" from Gardeners' World Live. I have planted it at the back of the border but it now has bright green shoots should I cut these out or will they turn black.

• Noooo, don't cut them off - the plant is doing what it loves to do, i.e. growing!  Most new foliage on any plant is a different colour from the older stuff Helen.  I have one just like yours which is making new green shoots and I think it's rather pretty like that.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

Are you sure it was Black lace and not any of the green ones like Sutherlands gold? My Black lace has never thrown up green leaves, only dark ones.

• Hi. Mines a black lace which I have had for 3 years. It has now finished flowering and is throwing up green shoots as normal! These do turn black! Hope this helps.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Mine has new green growth it will soon turn black, don't worry.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,060

Mine's green at the tips as is my other black elder. they do it every year

• Yup, green shoots are normal on Black Lace, they soon darken though.

• I have had one of these for about a year now and the whole thing is looking decidedly green.  Mine is probably in the worst possible position, in mainly shade quite close to a massive pine tree, so no doubt too dry. We do have acid soil though. I was going to give it a good pruning back and keep it well watered. Does anyone know which factor causes it to turn black?

sun I should think Chris. Not likely to be lack of water unless it's wilting. I've never gardened on acid soil so don't know the effects of that.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 42,871

Yes, it needs sun to fully develop the black colouring.  

Gardening is cheaper than therapy, and you get tomatoes. 

there are some gold ones i pass quite frequently that look as though they get sunburn. is that a problem they have?  It's put me off getting one

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

I have one of these currently in a 37cm Terracotta Pot. Only planted it in the Summer.

Its doing fine however I'm wondering if the pot will eventually become a bit small. What size container should I be using or would I be better finding a spot in the garden for it?

Sutherlands Gold sounds good, I'll give it some thought. Thanks Verdun

I don't do long term plants in pots Matt, I just keep them in there for a season when they look good then plant out and get something else for a pot. They are big shrubs and might start to look a bit pinched in a pot for too long

I'll consider planting it out in early Spring then image

Will I get the flowers though? I saw a 4 year old specimen in late June this year and the flowers were beautiful but my garden is quite small so I guess I'll keep it cut.

• NmarieNmarie Posts: 1

I have a black lace elderberry and 2 samdal and a samyl elderberry. They are all at least 4 years old. They have never grown. Are all under 18". Don't look sick, have good soil, are fertilized and watered. I have read everything I can find about how to grow and have followed. I have large patch of american elderberry that does great - grows freely and is very productive. Could someone telle what I am missing? The Black Lace and the other european are not in same area, yet their growth is the same.