Forum home Plants

Growing Hakonechloa

I am a currently growing hakonechloa in 50/50 mix of coir and potting bark which i think is ideal for keeping in a range of 4.5 - 5.5ph. Researching the best fertilizer to use i came a across a study saying that a N concentration of 8 mmol·L-1, with an N:P ratio of 10:1 or 20:1 is best as a fertigation method, could anyone help explain what this means?

Regards

Darren.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,557

google tells me it's the injection of water soluble fertilisers into an irrigation systemimage

sounds a bit complex, I planted hakonechloa in the garden and left it to sort itself outimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,146

Me too nut, although my current one is in a raised bed of garden soil and compost. They don't need much attention Darren image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

But they don't cope with disappearing under a spreading conifer whilst living in heavy clayimage

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,146

True! image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Must get some more, I feel guilty about letting that happenimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,936

Stick them in the soil, keep them moist, and they will grow. My original plant has been divided many times, and thrives all over the garden, in different locations.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • I need alot for a project.  So i have them growing under a t5 flourescent light with a heat mat.  With the idea of dividing them when they fill container they are in.  Just want to maximize growth as much as possible for division.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,373

It depends how many you mean by " a lot " but I'd suggest you find a wholesale grower and approach them. If it's " a lot " they'd probably supply them at a decent price. 

I , like others, can not understand why you seem to be complicating what , in nature, is a perfectly simple process.

Devon.