Forum home Plants

Advice on New Border Planting

SalviaSalvia South West EnglandPosts: 13

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for over a year, and do enjoy reading about all your gardens and especially seeing the wonderful photos.  Now I'm in need of help, so thought it was time to dive in!  Last year we moved to a house in 0.75 of an acre. It was a combination of overgrown and crowded, but had no colour or flowering plants, so I want to change that. We have cleared a lot of boring unwanted stuff in the wrong places, and now I want to create a lovely new border.  I'm a novice gardener, but very keen now I have the time as we have been lucky enough to take early retirement.  Anyway, enough of me.  The new border is almost ready and I feel it needs some structure in first.  There already is a new Rowan tree at the back, and we intend to plant another tree along the back as well.  The border is about 35 feet wide and 12 feet deep with scope to extend it in the future if necessary.  It's an open aspect, quite an exposed windy site, but not shady so will get a lot of sun. Although we have wonderful views and no near neighbours (fields all around) we could actually do with some privacy without making a total block screen, hence I thought tall things at the back. This bed is on the South side of the garden, but faces North.  The soil is sandy and drains well, but is not dry as it has a lot of organic matter in it.  I'll also dig in some well rotted horse manure before I start planting. We're in Somerset.  I hope I've given enough information. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought I'd initially aim for another medium sized tree at the back, then some tall shrubs of interest, then some medium shrubs, hopefully giving year round interest, so suggestions for those would be very useful.  Then, well, what do you suggest?  Presumably general sloping down in height from front to back is the aim, perennials , grasses, bulbs, but what exactly. I have no preference about colour, I love them all, but therein lies the problem.  I think maybe an informal, cottagey look, as we're in a rural location.  Your ideas and guidance will be most welcome.  Thank you.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Welcome salvia. I wouldn't put any trees in they'll take all the moisture from what you'll by planting. Shrubs is good at the back then some perennials and bulbs at the front. What to plant you will have to deside maybe go to the gc and you will have to take a soil test or look at what's already growingimage
  • SalviaSalvia South West EnglandPosts: 13

Thanks for the replies so far.  The pH is 6.5, slightly acidic and I took some photos but it was late afternoon so some are a bit dull. I forgot to say earlier that this border is along the boundary of the side of the garden, and although we are so lucky to have some lovely views, there are a couple of lanes nearby, so hence the need for a bit of screening too.  We are on top of a hill and the garden slopes down from front to back; there's not much cover on any boundary, in fact.  Right, now to try to upload the photos...

If I had all this I'd plant a orchard and a lot more fruitimage
    You haven't got a lot of hedging so you could plant a natural hedge and a couple of trees in it then have your flowers but I would give them a lot of spaceimage
  • I'm in Somerset - sounds like the same sort of soil, plus fields and plenty of wind!

I've planted anything I wanted - finding cheap deals etc as I have a 3 border like yours to fill! So basically anything has gone in I can get hold of - nothing has done badly, unless badly planted. Things like rosemary does brilliantly, so do sages, salvias, etc  Rudebekia, cosmos, calendula, nasturtiums, sunflowers, phlox etc have all done well.

This year on my new beds I'm looking for inspiration https://www.gardenia.net/ have loads of good ideas explained well, so I'm going to try and copy some of them where possible. I'd also be tempted to put some structure, hedges, big structural plants, maybe something for a wind break.

• BELBEL Posts: 49
    What a great site topsoiled, thank you for putting it up. I have been looking for ideas to rearrange my beds in a more cohesive way and this will give me a good start.
  • SalviaSalvia South West EnglandPosts: 13

Thank you all.  Logan, we do have several lovely aged apple trees and have recently planted plum, greengage and cherry trees too. I think you're right, it would benefit from  having a decent hedge at the back, and one or two trees. Topsoiled - I've spent a while drooling over the planting ideas on the Gardenia website. I've discovered I rather like the prairie/ meadow planting ideas, so will have a go at some of those. Thanks for suggesting the site, it will be very useful.  I'd still welcome some suggestions for large and medium shrubs too, but thanks for your input so far.