Forum home Wildlife gardening

Nesting Box Help

Hi guys I would like to put up a nesting box but i am worried that if it doesn't get used straight away or at all, is there a chance that it will get used by bees or wasps?. I have heard stories of this happening and as this will be my first ever nesting box any help or advice would be great.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,266

Nesting boxes need to be put up asap - birds are prospecting for sites now - some have started nesting. 

The RSPB gives good advice about siting nest boxes here http://www.rspb.org.uk/makeahomeforwildlife/advice/helpingbirds/nestboxes/smallbirds/siting.aspx

Don't worry about bees using a nest box - it's usually Tree Bees which are a type of bumble bee, non aggressive to humans unless attacked and really good in the garden - fantastic pollinators - and they're only there for a short while then the colony dies off while the new queens fly off to hibernate over the winter and the whole cycle starts again. 

This site will tell you more about them http://www.treebee.org.uk/

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks for the advice and links Dovefromabove.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,241

The bluetits began to put bits and bobs into our camera nestbox for the first time this morning.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Yay!  Is it one that feeds the pictures to your laptop Pansy?  Will you be able to show us pictures? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,241

Oh lord. I'm sure that someone else would be able to do that.image

Will have a word with OH when he's not in one of those "why do I have to explain everything twenty times to you"  frames of mind.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

Pansy, we have to leave some areas of stuff to them just so that they can carry on thinking they're superior ......... they haven't worked out yet that it's all a plan image

• I've had two years of blue tits and last year we had bees.

There have been occassional winter visits from blue tits so I hope we shall have them back as the year progresses.