Brick base for aluminium GH.. what should I lay on top of the brick?

I have bought a second hand GH and have just had a dwarf brick wall built onto which I intend to set the gh.  It was originally on a similar dwarf wall with a timber frame laid on top of the bricks.  Is this a good option or will wood rot?  Should I use coping instead? Then.. how do I fix coping/wood to brick... should I drill with extra long screws and use rawl plugs?  If anyone has any proper technical terms so I can go to B&Q and get the proper bits and pieces I'd be grateful!

Thank you.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Pampa you can get an aluminium base and drill that into the brick or use good quality tanalized timber which you can screw to the brick. Obviously aluminium will last longer than the wood, but decent tanalized timber will last at least 10 years or more, especially if you seal it again before screwing to the brick. Nothing technical about it appropriate length screws and rawl plugs is all you need.

• PampaPampa Posts: 6

Thank you Dave for your advice.  Can I screw into the brick at any point or should it be in the joints?  Just in case the brick splits?  They are good quality engineering brick so should be ok...

Also, when I screw the gh onto the wood, should the screw go right through the wood into the brick?  

Thanks again

Jean

• PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

The weight of the green house on the wood will hold it, quite heavy when fully glasses. You could pin the wood to the brick with short nails then screw the greenhouse footings to the wood, no need to go into the brick. Drill the odd hole into the wood and pour preservative in those holes every year or so and it will spread through the base, i did that and the greenhouse is still firm after thirty odd years.

Frank

PS that should read " fully glassed" if i try to alter a word my Apple I pad freezes no idea why.

Thank you Frank!  That's a great tip about the preservative every year!  

Jean

• I have just ordered new greenhouse , got flags sand cement solid bricks delivered today , if weather dry tomorrow will start putting flags down , next day do a course of brick , when greenhouse comes will screw base plate straight to brick with a layer of sealent between frame and base plate , I would leave wood no need for it it will rot 

Pampa asked a question we answered, my own greenhouse rests on a wood frame and has done for over thirty years, no problems. The reason i realised it needed to be higher than the wall i built and had run out of bricks, stacks of wood hence a wood frame. My pal built a base of concrete blocks and finished with a wood frame, again no problems. We gardeners do it our own way to suit our needs, nothing wrong with that if it works for you.

Pampa you can fasten direct to the brick as long as there are no gaps for the plant eaters to crawl through, it is your choice.

Frank.

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

I suspect the critters will get in whatever you do!    Under the door, through the ventilators, up through the soil (and between the slabs if you have them instead of beds).

I bought a top line Robinson GH they are well sealed round base and door, once it is full i go in at night and pick off the houdini's of the critters, there are never many though leave them and they would take over. The odd bear trap guards early strawberries which are then attacked by the grandchildren, I sometimes get one but at least can feed off the main beds later.

Frank

That should be BEER trap i have not seen many BEARS around Teesside.

Frank

Thanks all for your advice and comments.  I am really looking forward to getting the gh up and getting started... definite warmth in the sun and lighter afternoons here on the west coast of Scotland... hooray!