Forum home The potting shed

Job Done!

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

We deserve a sit down and a cup of coffee ... at last we've been around to the neighbours' garden and pulled down the Russian Vine that every year leaps up into the branches of our ash tree. 

Originally the Russian Vine came from this garden (planted by a previous owner) and spread across the adjoining gardens and took root there.  We've removed it from our garden but next door aren't as methodical as us and anyway, they regard it as our problem rather than their responsibility ... however they're quite happy for us to go round each winter and haul it out of the branches and cut it back to the level of their hedge. 

And now it's been done for another year!  image

Have you just done a job that's been glaring at you reproachfully for ages ................... ?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,754

You're too kind Dove. You didn't plant it, you've removed it from your garden, the roots are in your neighbours' garden yet they think you should deal with it????????image

Devon.
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

They sound just like our neighbours Dove - lazy so and so's image

There are so many jobs, so little time.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,799

We deal with it because we don't want it in the canopy of our ash tree which overhangs their garden anyway - they quite like it rambling through their hedge but they're happy for us to stop it's re-colonisation of our garden. 

It's not a problem for us, and they come and feed the hedgehogs when we go on our holibobs image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,091

The compost heap. It's a disgrace. Rotted part needs spreading round the garden, unrotted stuff to new heap.

Still glaring reproachfullyimage

20 odd plants need to go into the beds from their pots but it's dark when I get home from work. It rained nearly all weekend so I only got a few in. Got the new rose in though, transplated the old rose to a sunnier spot, planted the camellia and theclematis montana Broughton but still so much to do.

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Need to finish off creating a border at the bottom of our garden (about 3/5 of the way across so far). I was all geared up to tackle some more today but got rained off.

I used the stored up motivation to defrost and clean the freezer though (Not a gardening job but hated it so much I thought I deserved the credit!!)

Weather seems to be brightening up and if it's still nice when my youngest goes for her afternoon nap i'll get out and dig another few meters image

Looks like the rain is keeping most people out of the garden - light nights soon Lou!!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,502

Huge list I've been saving for OH's retirement but haven't actually written down for fear of frightening him so I plan to spring them one at a time after preparing the proverbial and metaphorical ground.   He's had January off to get used to not having to get up and catch a train to work and we've just had the build up to the dance club's 40th anniversary ball this weekend and are off to the Hague tomorrow so nothing doing till next week really.

He knows about the compost heaps needing turning and emptying and fixing.   He knows about the trellis panels swaps and repairs and replacements that need doing.   Just waiting for decent weather.

Then there's finishing the edging of the holly hedge bed with granite pavers and laying chipped bark.  Ditto one edge of the back lawn without the bark, pruning dead branches from our prunus cerastifera, cutting back other shrubs, wading into the pond to clear flag iris and so on and so forth. 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • B3B3 Posts: 11,522

I Will procrastinate when I get around to it

In London. Keen but lazy.

• JoneskJonesk Posts: 205

Well, toddler sleeping peacefully but it's blowing a gale and bucketing with rain - no garden jobs for me today! I work Wed, Thurs and Fri (11 hour days though) so still hope for tomorrow.

I periodically keep going to stare at my seedlings indoors but no sign of life yet image