Forum home The potting shed

Camera Talk

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,088

Interesting photos - thanks Johnny.  image

Odd to think that this house in West Yorks, to which we retired in 2005, is the most modern we've lived in since the late 1980s.  It was built in 1840.  Our two previous homes (in Northumberland) were built around 1750 and 1690... we just take such things for granted here in Britain.  

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • Hello Liriodendron,

Yes, everything is quite new here in Alberta compared to the UK or even eastern Canada. In 1840, the land where this house sits was a special area that the Blackfoot confederacy tribes would gather. When the Mounties decided to build a fort here, they found evidence of battles between the Blackfeet and the American whiskey traders. So they figured it would be a good place to put up a fort and bring some law and order and keep the Americans out.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 41,327

Lovely pix B'man. Glad you had a nice trip and a lovely break. Goatfell always looks good  image

Interesting pix Johnny. I suppose we take it for granted that we have more 'history' here. Nice to hear those stories though. Are you still trying to keep the Americans out?  image

My walk today was changed from the one I intended. I've posted pix many times from Ben Donich so I hope these aren't too repetitive

I stopped at Luss anyway and got some shots down Loch Lomond

View from Luss across the loch

Rainbow appearing over Beinn an Lochain, Donich's neighbouring hill

Bheinn Bheula across towards the Cowal peninsula

I liked this 'Lady' shaped rock

she had a pretty good view - when the cloud wasn't down....image

The Cobbler - the summits were all shrouded in cloud today

Beinn an Lochain through the 'V' in the rocks

Pano of the surrounding hills

The 'lour'ing' sky

The 'view' down to Ardgarten on Loch Long

The soldiers, and the summit trig in the top right corner

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Joyce21Joyce21 Posts: 15,489

It really was quite misty up there today Fairy but atmospheric shots.

The "lady" rock with the lichen makes interesting feature. brighter looking towards Cowal.

SW Scotland
  • Hello Fairygirl,

Beautiful pictures!

As far as keeping Americans out, well, not so much. I'm kinda use to them. My adopted family on mom's side are American's. She was born in a farmhouse in Nebraska. Her first language was Danish though.lol

• Some wonderful pictures - that sky takes some beating Fairy, and yes your short history and oldest house - well  that is quite modern by our standards Johnny canoe - our home is probably 15 or 1600's being a farm peasants or farm store at one time but now extended. Do you know of Sir Isaac Brock - he was born here but has a prominent history in Canada.imageimageThe sky picture was taken last evening.

Last edited: 23 October 2016 22:31:18

• Pat EPat E Posts: 10,483

Great photos everyone. I'm a bit lost for words. I had a laugh at Johnny's "Danish language" story though. Totally unexpected. 

We used to belong to the Australian Garden History Society and we used to visit "Historic" gardens in NSW, Vic, and Tasmania. You'd all get a laugh at the dates of those. image

S. E. NSW
  • Hello Guernsey Donkey2,

WOW, I sure like the look of your house, that stone work!

I do know the role Sir Brock played in that war of 1812. A great man, I didn't realize he was from your area.

I forget the town in Kent where James Wolf was born but at age ten I was there and took a picture of the monument of him. There is quite a fantastic monument to Sir brock in Queenston heights.

Hello Pat,

Oh, my adopted family has oodles of stories passed down. Dad's side, they were protestant landowners in the Wicklow Ireland area. Got fed up with being targeted when ever there were Irish uprisings, so they sold their land and came to Canada in the late 1830s. Mom's parents immigrated to Colorado from Denmark and then after farming in Nebraska about seven Danish families left together in 1930 to start a Danish farming community here in Alberta. Lot's of stories there. It's amusing, I absorb their history like a sponge, always have. Might be my Metis heritage, Cree/French, we are big on oral histories. But with my adopted family I have the old pictures too. lol

• I do a bit of under water gardening in my fish tanks. My minnow tank, I just added some big mystery snails. Isn't he/she a good looking snail?

imageimage

• Pat EPat E Posts: 10,483

Johnny, you sure have an interesting mixture in your genealogy. That story about the Danish community is interesting, I'd not heard that before,

My Hubby has been researching both our family trees and it's interesting to find out all sorts of things. We are basically all UK, but vary between Ireland, Scotland, Isle of Mann, and England. 

Love your photos. Very handsome snail. image

Time for bed for me now. Catch you later.

S. E. NSW