bamboo

Need a bit more to go on Bev!

• bigolobbigolob Posts: 127

Try dynamite!! Seriously though, I have found that there are 2 types (and perhaps even more). There is the `clump` forming bamboo and the `spreading` bamboo. It is the second which is the problem. It can spread over large areas and as Verdun says, it is very difficult to get rid of. Use whatever weedkiller you can lay your hands on after digging out as much as possible.

The clump forming variety just needs all the roots digging out as it will not spread.

• BluebaronBluebaron Posts: 205
    Oh I love bamboo and was going to get some for the garden. Sounds to me like I shouldn't start with it at all?
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,930

Bamboo can be a real thug, it puts out under ground roots which can go through walls, mine migrated into next doors garden. I agree with Verdun try glyphosate but also after cutting down pour it into the cut bamboo stems. Each time a new shoot appears try to pull it up with as much root as you can.

Good luck.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

Verdun is 100% correct. Even clumping Bamboo bolt when they feel like it, yes even Fargesia. The worst is P.Nigra which behve for years then send out runners over and underground!

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Must be the clay here that restricts them, but I've no probs with clump ones and nigra needed encouragement to grow. Had it 7 yrs. Someone posted a while back that if they flower, usually after about 7 yrs they die. Not often I'm right but might be wrong again so I'll  keep my eye on it blairs.  

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Verdun, I won't have anything left in my garden..Sumach went & now Bamboo under scrutiny image

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 79

over the years I've put a few plants in that are described as good ground cover or good spreaders. well I learned the hard way. Persicaria and Achillea The Pear are still rearing their heads.