Allotment

Hello everyone.

We (my partner and I) have recently been granted an allotment, and I love it! It is 125sqm and is perfect for us. We are however, very new to grow your own etc and we would like to know where to know where to start, what tools are essential etc.

We are looking to grow both fruit and veg, e.g. carrots, onions, potatoes, leeks, beans, peas  redcurrant, blackcurrants, raspberries, strawberries, blackberries etc.

I have a pre existing shed which is in great condition and a small greenhouse too image

Thanks,

Harriet x

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Harriet we have some dedicated allotment owners on this forum I'll show the thread and I'm sure they will advise you. 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/new-allotment-omg/220407-116.html

• Hello Harriet and partner, where abouts are you I am in Hampshire

I have an Allotment plot got last May, tools I would say you need fork, spade, rake to level soil, depends if you have lots of brambles then cutters needed, hand/ long hand cultivator so going around plants that you have planted 

We do like pictures if you go onto the new allotment site as in link in KEF's post, we are a friendly lot

You could get some seed compost and seed trays unless you want to sow direct

Hampshire Gardener
  • Hello gardengirl,

We are on the Isle of Wight. The plot was recently given up and other than the odd few weeds it isn't too bad. Needs a bit of a light makeover but overall it looks great image

I looked in the shed and the previous owner had left seed trays which haven't been used, twine and seed labels too image the greenhouse is in need of a clean but is pretty good. I will look at the link now ty image
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Hi Harriet and welcome image

Sounds like your plot is ideal, and in great condition.  And a balmy climate on the IoW as well.  If you're both prepared to put in some hard work (much cheaper than a gym membership) you'll be richly rewarded.

Seems you have a good idea about what to grow - the golden rule there is to grow what you like to eat.  Bear in mind also what will do well on your soil type - chalky?  The soft fruit will need to go in a cage, otherwiwse the birds will have it all, especially the redcurrants.

We can provide all sorts of advice between us, (much of it good!) but it'd be worth getting a book or three.  My favourite is The Complete Book of Organic Gardening (edited by Basil Caplan I think) but there are many others.

Good luck!

• Hi steve,

Yes, books are a great idea, thanks, organic gardening is how we want to grow, as buying shop bought veg and fruit has made us miserable, it doesn't taste right image

I have yet to test the soil properly, I was going to ask someone down there, but when we got there, no one was down there image

Thanks so much, the fruit cages are a great idea again, I will have a look at them online shortly.

Thanks again

Harriet and Sam

• hello, im new to all the gardening and growing, im 34 and entered a leek club last year, i didnt have any idea of how much work and expense went into it. I was wondering what everyone else grows in there garden or allotment ? where do you source your gardening equipment and plants from? im in the uk and looking for advice.

i found a website which the prices on the gardening stuff looks ok and i emailed them and they told me they are adding products daliy at low prices but dont know if they are good so i thought i would share it with you

http://www.adhelectricalsuppliesltd.co.uk/online-shop/gardening-products.html

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,947

lol. same advert , different thread.

Come on kelly, where next?

Devon.
  • Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Well spotted Hosta image

SPAM reported 

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Take a look at no-dig, it means less work, and good crops. I'd have a bash at a range of crops if I were you, work out what is worth growing, and what you like. I would not be without my coldframe, I use it to raise beetroot, pak choi and other plants in modules before planting out, but you will need to be careful of theft on an allotment I suspect. Perhaps keep one at home, and take young plants to the allotment when ready. A spade and rake are useful, and a small fork for digging up carrots etc. A dibber, made from a broken spade handle with the end shaped into a cone. Fine netting is essential for many crops especially brassicas. I have a large cage for my currants. White currants get attacked later, birds seem to wait for them to ripen, then go for them anyway and discover they are ripe when white. Make sure netting is pinned down, or you will catch birds, as I did for a couple of years, none harmed though. 

• Find a good source of organic matter, well rotted manure etc. Put on as much as you can get. Do not pre manure for roots such as Carrots, Beets etc. as it will cause the roots to fork. Use a rough rotation, it benefits the crops through reduction of pest build up. Roughly, Legumes (peas, beans) followed by leafy veg (cabbage, spinach) followed by exotics (squash, toms, peppers) followed by roots (carrots, alliums, beets) then back to Legumes. This just a rough guide and everyone has his or her preferred method. Most of all enjoy doing it and enjoy the fruits of your labour (no pun intended!).