Forum home Wildlife gardening

What do we do about the badger?

we used to have hedgehogs in the garden but last year we had a badger who visited ours and neighbouring gardens. We have tried to make the garden badger proof but to no avail. It digs up the lawns, breaks in under the fences and generally causes mayhem. Help.  We now have no hedgehogs, we understand badgers kill them.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310

they do indeed Susan. They flip them over and use their claws to rip the guts out of our little spikey friends.

Devon.
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,221

Here are some interesting facts

http://www.ourhogwatch.org.uk/badgers-and-hedgehogs-q-and-a/

We have them both, but lots of room for them to avoid each other too.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I don't complain I have one.

I don't complain I have hedgehogs either. 

I don't know where you get the idea that I have a complaint.

Where did I complain?

• Edd,

Why would you expect see badgers when you've spent ten years digging for bottles next to their sett? Or have I mistaken what you're trying to say?

• B3B3 South East LondonPosts: 24,060

Did I miss something? Who mentioned killing them?

In London. Keen but lazy.
  • AngelAngel Posts: 57

I must have missed.something to. Oh well I am getting on a bit so maybe that's it. 

• RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,305

Badgers are protected....learn to live with him/her.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
    Yeah right. ??5m spent by the police in Somerset protecting the badger cullers. Ha!
  • RedwingRedwing SussexPosts: 1,305

"Yeah right. ??5m spent by the police in Somerset protecting the badger cullers. Ha!"

I am not going to respond to this. I am assuming Susan57 lives outside of that area.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.
  • Learn to live with it. Unless you are going to put up a concrete wall, they will go where they want. It's illegal to interfere with wildlife, so Im afraid you're probably stuck with them.