ornamental grasses garden

hi , I work at a prestigious  care home in Tunbridge wells , we have been tasked to create a all year round ornemental grass area , I have a basic design and plant list from a sister home , which was designed by knollgardens.co.uk  . soil is poor, slight slope,  plenty of sun/light AM/ to late PM .  do we need to prepare the soil etc etc ??? 

• CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

The grasses supplied for your sister home will have been chosen with their particular type of soil in mind and that may not be the same as the situation in your garden. Knoll Gardens has a very good website and there is a section about chosing the right plants for your garden. It will be worth looking at this to see if the plants on your list will do well in your garden. http://www.knollgardens.co.uk/choose-the-right-plants-for-your-garden/

You will probably need to add some compost to the soil before you plant anything.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,140

And you really have to make 100 percent certain that there is not a single scrap of Couch grass anywhere on site. Believe me, if you don't then it will grow just as well, if not better than the ornamentals and it cannot be removed afterwards.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,589

I remember, back in the day, there was a wonderful selective weedkiller just for couch grass. It could be sprayed over other plants and only killed the couch grass. No idea how it worked but it was wonderful stuff. Sadly no longer available.

Devon.

There used to be one which killed all grasses but left hardwood plants alone. It was designed for use around fruit trees and bushes. Weedout it was called.

And be very careful about planting Arrhenatherum bulbosum, even the variegated one. It tends to revert and spreads everywhere and is as difficult to control as couch.

Well it came as Arrhenatum variegatum and for a while that is what it was, then it went green and spread everywhere and I mean everywhere and it is a devil to remove and the bulbs stink f onions too. And the last thing one can say about anywhere in our garden is 'hot'.