Forum home The potting shed

If you listen to the Archers ....

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

If the current storyline featuring Helen and Rob is making you feel uncomfortable .... if you relate to it, or if, thankfully, you don't ............ if like many of us you have a wonderful partner ........ or if you know someone who used to be confident and outgoing and now you worry about them ............... there is something we can do ...

https://www.justgiving.com/helentitchener/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=fundraisingpage&utm_content=helentitchener&utm_campaign=pfp-tweet

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,845

Super Dove,  what a clever idea

i nearly had apoplexy at yesterday's episode!

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,211
    As ever, I am 3 weeks behind on the storyline, but this has just been the most horrible story of one person's control over another and erosion of self esteem and self confidence.

The main reason it's been so horrible, however, is because it has been portrayed in the programme in such a wholly believable & realistic way. Stealthy, insidious manipulation.

What a great idea to seize the opportunity to fund raise for Refuge. image
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Cracking link, Dove......there's been some weird storylines over the years, but this has to be up there with the weirdest. Helen has always been slightly odd, so I can understand why the scripwriters chose her.......Crusty will save her! image

Incidentally, i've listened to them since the very first episode (I was just a lad) but came close to flouncing when they killed off Nigel & closed TA messageboards.

Oh,,,and I used to be head gardener for the aforementioned messageboard, where I first started this 'boarding' nonsense, some fifteen years ago. image

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

...but why didn't she tell Kirsty? imageimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

It's hard - if someone's successfully undermining your confidence you will begin to believe that they are right, that you really are useless ....... or even suffering from a mental health condition ........... you have done so many silly things, made so many mistakes whereas Rob is so kind and so sensible and is looking after her and protecting her. 

Someone I knew a long time ago in a similar relationship, became so anxious because of the emotional bullying by her husband, that she had a total breakdown following the birth of her second child .... he saw to it that she was hospitalised ... he withheld the children from her ...... she never got them back and he persuaded the children to stop seeing her because he told them that it distressed her!!! 

You see, he bullied and emotionally abused them too ........... right into their adult lives ........... but he was so popular, so well-liked, such a stalwart of the village, such a wonderful head teacher ....................

Helen doesn't tell Kirsty because she doesn't think Kirsty will believe her, because Helen doesn't really believe herself either, so well has he implanted those seeds of self-doubt image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 7,211

B*st*rd !

Saw a report that the actor who plays Rob in the series (Timothy Watson) has been booed and hissed at public meetings / events and has stopped looking at all Social Media because of the venom out there.

It must be very difficult to handle when the public stop being able to distinguish between real life and fiction and start to attack the portrayer of this nasty character image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,278

That's why live theatre is sooooooooooo important! 

Some people have no understanding of how the suspension of disbelief works image

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I loathe the programme. Men are mostly the business/professional people, the posher the accent, the more successful the person, the more regional the accent, the more stupid the person. And it is so painfully right on. It is 1950's Britain with political correctness thrown in. 

• I totally applaud TA and their story line - often the people closest to the victim (parents, siblings etc) don't even notice how their offspring have changed. I do hope Kirsty catches on to Helen's suffering soon. It is Henry that I feel for - just an innocent child who is being brainwashed by Mr High and Mighty Rob. I too was devastated by the loss of such a wonderful actor - Nigel, he was unique unlike those Fairbrother's and the new Tom whose voices all sound the same.

• That's it!!! Helen's finally cracked and done it for Creepy. image