Forum home Wildlife gardening

Frogspawn

Hi 

I was surprised to find frogspawn in my garden pond yesterday morning. This is the earliest I've ever seen it by about a week or so. I usually record the date both for BTO Garden Birdwatch and Woodland Trust's Nature's Calendar http://www.naturescalendar.org.uk/

Looking on their website there are other sightings recently mainly along south coast of England and Wales. Have other listers else seen it this year?

Let's hope the weather stays mild image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,310

I have it mine in Devon.

Devon.
  • MobowMobow Posts: 92

Hi Hosta

Glad to hear that you too have frogspawn down there in Devon. Is this early for your part of the world. It is for me here in South Wales

someone posted yesterday ( from Devon, ) about having it, and I went out and checked. I've been out of the country all January so no idea how long it's been there. 

Even for Devon , it does seem early, but I think we've only had a couple of frosts all winter so far.( and I missed them image )

Devon.
  • We have frogsppawn in our school wildlife pond in North Somerset. It arrived last week in fact, after lots of frog action. I've never seen the action before the spawn arrives. It was fascinating for me and the kids. 

• I was away during the first week of this month but when I got back on the 6th there was frogs spawn in the pond.This is not unusual for me here in Devon and I have seen it at the end of January before now.

Something I have noticed with the timing is that it always seems to turn colder after the spawn appears and it very often gets frozen just like it has this week.Still get loads of froglets though.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331

We have "loads" of frog spawn in the pond at the primary school I volunteer at.(Bristol) A massive lump has been collected and put in a fish tank for pupils to look at. I hope it survives!!!

• We had frogspawn on Monday morning and a frost yesterday morning - fingers crossed that the spawn was affected by the cold.

• Does anyone do anything to prevent frog spawn from freezing?  I've also put some of the spawn in a bucket so the newts don't eat them all!  What do you all do when ponds freeze over?  Leave it be as in nature?

• Sorry, that should read "fingers crossed that the spawn wasn't affected by the cold" - I have checked the spawn today and so far so good, although I did see the neighbourhood cat playing around at the side of the pond so I hope Mrs. Frog wasn't captured by that darn CAT!

don't mention cats GD2 image

Devon.