Used growbags

Is there a problem with using tomato grobags for a second year, as you feed the tomatos regularly anyway the nutrients used last year will be replaced in the new feed surley ??

• the nutrients in new bags give new tom plants a kick start.for a total of 6 weeks or so. starve them then would be a mistake to my thinking. why chance it.  cheers WRINKLY 1

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,387
    I see where you're coming from Dago but I'd be a bit wary of fungus and diseases building up in grow bags used for the same crop for more than one season.

Personally, I'd recycle the used growbags as a mulch on the border and open new ones for the precious tomato crops - they need all the help they can get in this country.

I don't feed & water my toms nearly as much as some people seem to - treat 'em mean keep 'em keen - they grow well in hot dry climates - often in rather inhospitable looking soil - and I think keeping a constant decent temperature is more important.
    Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,636

Either put them on the compost heap, or use as a mulch.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • DagoDago Posts: 2

Thanks for the observations folks, as an experiment this year I will re-use last years as I use 'growbag pots'  which sit on top of the growbag and will have new compost anyway.

With reference to Verduns comment about growbags being cheap I am sure if you a substantial income it is not a problem but when you use five in the greenhouse at a tme that is a minimum of £20 which all adds considerable cost to the tomatos and cucumbers !!

I will let you know how I get on !

• Hi Dago. I think you may be paying too much for your grobags. Round here they seem to be £2.99 each at the moment and will probably be on an even better offer at the time most people are buying. Why not try an experiment and reuse some and compare with using new?

I did an experiment last year comparing the ordinary grobags (which always look very small to me) with the "giant tomato planters". To my surprise the ordinary bags did marginally better and were a lot cheaper so I won't be wasting my money on the giant planters this year!

• Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Definitely use the contents of old growbags as a mulch/soil improver in the autumn.  Greatly improved the friability and drainage of my mother's clay soil.  Not worth reusing them.  FWIW I used a cheap B & Q growbag for her toms last year and they did brilliantly.

Just had a look at their prices: £2 - £5 dep. on size and quality.  Interestingly the peat-free one is cheapest.  Dread to think what's in it image

I've found bottomless pots on top of the growbags very effective too.  6" or 8" plastic pots with the bottoms cut out, filled with decent compost greatly increases the root volume and provides an easy way of anchoring the strings.  They do say that you should water into the bag and feed into the pots but I can't see how that would make a blind bit of difference.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,715

I agree Verdun - I much prefer pots (well, the tomatoes seem to anyway). 

I pot mine on until they're in pots the size of a large garden bucket.  I leave at least 6" gap clear at the top and when I water I fill that up - even in sunny periods I only do that 2 or 3 times a week - we get great crops image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

I wouldn't use gro bags either, always in large pots/buckets Or in the ground. but another reason not to use last years would be that you don't feed tomato plants until the first fruit has set.

they won't get to that stage in useless compost.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.