fibreglass pond

A few years ago I purchased a fibreglass pond sold as a wildlife pond but had problems putting it in, unfortunately it sagged so I put two containers in instead as mini ponds where frogs have bred,would there be any way  I could bank up the pond so that it would be level,?Frogs usually manage to find their way to the two mini ponds, one has a depth of about a foot and the other eighteen inches,frogs usually hibernate under the containers or would I be better to take the fibreglass pond out and risk losing the frogs?I would appreciateany advice please.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,736

Must this be done now or could it wait until the late summer?

Amphibians will be searching out breeding ponds in the next few weeks (some have already begun). It really isn't the best moment to start this project.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 24,549

I got slightly confused Peter image  Did you put the containers inside the existing pond and you want to continue to use those instead? If so, I'd remove them and sort them into the ground properly - but, as pansyface says, now isn't the best time to do it.

When you sort the pond(s) out later in the year,  the frogs will return so don't worry about that. It will help if you can construct a better way in and out too - rocks built up at the side for example, as you'll find other creatures will also use use the ponds more safely  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,914

I wouldn't recommend those pre formed ponds, you have to dig the hole exactly as the profile of the pond, we bought one first off, it's now laying on the ground up at the rubbish end of the garden, never sited, never will be.  if you buy a liner it doesn't matter how you dig, the liner bends to your dug hole.

Could the OP dig another hole for a liner  then carefully tip the contents of the two containers into it.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.