Forum home Wildlife gardening

frogspawn in pond in January 2016!

Hello,

I have a small pond in my garden and today I have discovered frogspawn on it. The pond has autumn leaves on the bottom of it and I wonder if I should leave them or do something about it. Last summer (my first in this house) no tadpoles survived Im afraid. Do you think is too early for frogs to lay eggs? I live in Devon.. and I know is milder than in the north but still is quite cold!

Any help or tips will be appreciated. 

Carla, Exeter, Devon

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 33,314

I'd leave well alone to be honest. At least you know you've still got adults around.

Devon.

snap

Devon.

Just been out and checked. I've got frog spawn too. Maybe it's a Devon thing?

Devon.
  • You could chuck a barley straw mat in now to help improve the water quality for when the weather warms up. When the tadpoles hatch a couple of bunches of watercress from the supermarket should root floating in the water and provide good nutrition for tadpoles after they move on from eating algae.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,141

My pond do crystal clear, but I can't see any tadpoles yet, I am in a colder part of Devon and very high up, it was later last year. The bottom here is more than 2' deep, I have never used a treatment, just plants. 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.