has anyone underplanted bamboo?

Has anyone ever underplanted bamboo?  I have a new row of bamboo at the bottom of the garden where there used to be four enormous leylandii trees, and I want to underplant them so that from the house the stems are a little obscured, and a little bit of colour injected.  I tried dahlias last year but they didnt do well, however this year the bed is much better prepared - last year was rather a rush job.   I wondered about a mixture of annuals such as Ammi Major and something with a bit of an eye pop like cornflower to soften it all down as I am too late for bulbs and they are so seasonal.  It is very bright down there although I don t think there will be huge amount of direct sun on that bed, some in the morning.  Am I wasting my time with this, do let me know if you have any other ideas or comments.  Photo attached - the lawn at the back will be sown in March - this is a view (bad photo) of the bamboo as seen through the trellis from half way down the garden and a second photo (which is rotated for some reason!)  from nearer the house

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,088

I should think annuals would go until the bamboo makes a bid for world dominationimage

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

Ivy works well if you aren't fixed on flowers.