East facing wall fruit

Ive got an east facing wall that id like to train a fruit tree as an espalier - would a pear be suitable for this location? and if so any varieties that would be best?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217

Where do you live, Brett3?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Brett3Brett3 Posts: 8

Epsom in surrey, I've already got a line of Morello cherry trained as fans along a stretch of the same wall that are growing really well, wondered if pears might also like this spot?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,632

I've got a Concorde (our favourite) espaliered pear forming a sort of 'fence' on the side of our eating area on the terrace - it runs north/south and has the studio forming the opposite wall of the eating area, so I suppose the pear could be said to be 'east facing'  . 

I planted it as a one year maiden, and it has three layers of growth so I suppose it's four years old now.  It had some blossom last year but is too young to bear fruit yet so I can't tell you how successful it will be, but it's looking good so far.

Good luck

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,217

Good. The main problem with east facing walls is the danger of early morning sun scorching frosty flowers. But if you have cherries there already, no problem.

If you are only having one plant and there are no others nearby go for one which purports to be self fertile.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Brett3Brett3 Posts: 8

brilliant thank you image cross pollination shouldnt be a problem I'm planning on adding a few trees

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,632

Concorde is self-fertile https://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/catalogsearch/result/?q=concorde+pear

but like Conference, it will produce an even heavier crop if there's a pear of the right pollination group in the vicinity image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh