blind daff.bulbs

I planted up four tubs with new miniature daffodil bulbs. All four tubs are blind with no show of heads just long healthy leaves. Any thoughts folks?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Couple of possibilites. Not planted deeply enough, though this usually only affects them in later years.

Cheap bulbs which were not big enough to flower. It is a big outlay of energy for a bulb to flower so they need to have been well fed in previous seasons.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

Too early? I have leaves but no flowers yet. It is only January. Snowdrops come first. No sign of flowers on my tete a tetes.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • philip4philip4 Posts: 40

my established plants in borders at front of house are showing with a couple of heads out .its the new bulbs that are at fault. Just put it down to experience!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,607

Established bulbs will always tend to flower before new ones, and as Fidget says, it is still early. Don't give up yet,

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

Most of our Daffs are showing flower heads. They tend to come up with the leaves, so it is possible to see which are going to flower almost as soon as they appear about the soil.

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 5,367

I think it's a bit early to be worrying about them Phillip. My tete a tetes are planted into pots in a nice sunny sheltered position. They currently have about 5" of leaves showing but absolutely no signs of flower heads. Same last year - but every last one flowered in April. 

A few of the 'regular' daffs in the borders have flower heads - but not these miniature ones.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • daydaisydaydaisy Posts: 364

My Paper White bulbs which I planted a while before Christmas are at last growing but  without any flower buds. Disappointing.image

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Once bulbs come up blind, will they ever revert back to flowering ones in subsequent years? Thanks 

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

Feed the bulbs, I folliar feed, and if they are in a poor position (e.g. not deep enough) move them once the foliage dies down.  They should flower next year.