Garden animal droppings

J2202J2202 Posts: 11
I keep finding 1-2cm brown droppings on my patio and grass, what is making these? I have a photo but don't know how to post it here? Thanks

• J2202J2202 Posts: 11

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,294

Looks like lots of seeds in there but difficult to tell from a photo.  Hedgehogs are carnivores so I would expect bits of beetle etc., so I think it's probably from large rodent such as a squirrel.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    Definitely not fox, too small and not smelly. It looks like the right size for hedgehog but all the pics on the web are black and this is alway this brown colour? I am hoping it is too sort for rat as it is not pellet shaped?
    Soft I meant to write
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,932

I would say a hedgehog that has been picking up seeds. I know they are supposed to eat slugs and worms, but our hedgehogs will eat any sunflower hearts on the floor, before progressing to the dog food.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,235

If you've been leaving food for it J2202, that's a b****y small tip he's left  image  image

Looks hedgehoggy to me - but the colour and small size made me think otherwise...

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,932

Colour is a bit light, but size and shape is right.  Hedgehogs should be hibernating though, it has been so mild here, that we saw them out and about in December. ( a very big fat hedgehog)

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,722

Have a look here http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-identify-animal-droppings

you can post a photo on there if you still can't identify it. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh