calcified seaweed

if I mixed calcified seaweed with potatoe fertilizer  what would the ph readiing be ??  does anyone know

• JIMMMYJIMMMY Posts: 241

Hi

CS is supposed to raise the PH of acidic soils, but why mix it with another fertilizer?

Apply them separately would be my suggestion!

Cheers!

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,633

What is potato fertiliser, is it any different to a general multi purpose fertiliser?

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283
    punkdoc wrote (see)

What is potato fertiliser, is it any different to a general multi purpose fertiliser?

Just a different NPK ratio pdoc.  Farmers use roughly 1:1:1.5.  You won't find that though, it will be something like 6-3-8, 15-13-19 or 14:14:21 just to confuse us!

Too much nitrate (N) will lead to overgrown greenery on top at the expense of fewer/smaller potatoes.

I didn't fertilize mine at all one year and didn't notice any reduction in cropping, but I'm on clay soil.  Sandy soils probably do need it to get a good crop.

To answer James' question, I would never mix two different things like that, always apply separately and with a gap of a few weeks.  Mixing lime and fertilizer, for example, will result in all of the nitrogen being released extremely rapidly (sometimes dangerously so) leaving little for later use by the plants when they need it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • thanks for the3  advice  bob much appreciated