raised beds and artificial grass

SKGSKG Posts: 3

We are about to create some raised beds this weekend.  

Our back garden is very small, 12m * 5m approx but is water logged and even in summer doesnt dry out completely.

We have 3 kids and 2 dogs so the garden is churned over and is a general mud bath.

So this weekend, we are going to build some raised beds, as a complete novice i've been reading up online and think we have a plan, but advise always welcome:

1) create the raised beds using gravel boards and some 18" deep log roll on the front edge to be more decorative.

2) Dig out the top surface of the lawn (or whats left of it), turn upside down and use at the bottom of the newly created raised bed.

3) line the log roll side with a weed proof membrane and then fill with a mix of manure and top soil which is being delivered from the garden centre.

So... as we have very wet soil with very poor drainage, will this be adequate to solve the problem?  I dont want to go to all the trouble and expense to just end up with a deeper mud bath !!

We will then dig to about 10cm deep where the artificial lawn is going to be laid, put a weed proof membrane down and then fill with MOT and sand before laying the new lawn.

Will this be enough to create drainage under the new lawn ?

Or do we have to put some drains in at the bottom.

Neither me or hubby are very DIY savvy, but we are doing this by ouselves with 3 little people as assistance (age 3,5,7) !!

Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I'd suspect you're on clay soil with what you've described. Raised beds is the best solution and what you've planned is sensible although I'd add grit or pea shingle to the new beds to give you the best growing medium.

As for the artificial lawn, its a good option but even so drainage may still be an issue if you don't get it right from the start. I'd get a professional in for that. If the drainage is that bad in summer you do have a problem which must be addressed first. Land drains aren't difficult to put in but you need to make sure the water goes somewhere and that I doesn't affect someone else. 

Getting professional advice would safeguard you and I'd strongly advise it. You don't want costly mistakes.

• SKGSKG Posts: 3

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your time replying.  I'll add some grit to the list of things to pick up from Wicks tonight.

I know we wont get to the artificial lawn bit this weekend so we do have time to get some advice on whats best to do.  There is a snicket behind the house so maybe we can get the drain outlet into that as no-one elses garden will be affected by it then.

I feel we could be very very achy and sore by the end of sunday, but hopefully will have a good sense of achievement at seeing some improvements image)

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 27,969

I'd agree with Dave re the artificial grass. You'll need a decent sub layer to let water away. 

Raised beds will be great - mine are exactly what you describe in terms of contents, We have heavy clay and high rainfall here so the grit is a necessity. I used fencing timber and concreted short posts in to form the beds, as mine are different heights and sizes to accommodate the existing angled boundary. I also added a little timber coping to the tops of the beds as it makes them more decorative image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• SKGSKG Posts: 3

we're going to create the raised beds with gravel boards where they cant be seen and with log roll where it is visible.  I'll def get some grit tonight, thank you.