Wondering about blue plants.

B3B3 Posts: 11,459

Why is it so difficult for growers to produce genuine blue plants?

Question 2: why would they want to?

In London. Keen but lazy.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Genuinely blue plants are few and far between in nature and that's the problem. Nature has evolved the best possible ways of reproduction in plants and the insects they rely on for that process have their own particular spectrums of light which they use to identify nectar rich plants. Much of what we see insects see in a totally different light spectrum and don't appear in the colours we can see. It's a totally different world of light. 

Breeders breed blue plants because we demand it, not because nature intended.

• B3B3 Posts: 11,459

I understand that the plants we perceive as white have different colours to the insect' s eye with coloured 'runways' to guide them to the pollen.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,699

As Dave has said ......  and to go just a bit further, if a specific type of plant does not have the genetic make up to produce blue flowers then up until now it has been highly unlikely that the plant breeders would be able to make it produce blue flowers.

Just as if you and your partner don't carry the genes to produce a child with red hair or green eyes, then it's impossible for you to produce such a child.

Of course, with genetic engineering many things may be possible in the future, if that is the path we choose to follow.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

Red white and blue cauliflowerimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,699

Would look a bit odd with a cheese sauce image

As long as it's not red white and blue children image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• The problem is that the yellows and reds are produced by families of chemicals which do not come in blue, Blue colours come from a completely different family of chemicals called anthocyanins.Plants don't use both types of pigment so no amount of messing about will give blue flowers if there wasn't any in the first place.

http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/7H.html 

Thanks so much Alan. It's fascinating. Have had a quick read. Will save link to study laterimage