Forum home Talkback

Perfect weather

Today has been perfect -no wind, no rain, just brilliant sunshine. I really had to force myself to stop working in the garden - there is so much to do, tidying, cutting back and clearing away not to mention shredding and pruning.  There is only so much I can do at one time and my back is telling me that I have overdone it again.

• Lucky you Guernsey........started off beautifully here but then......surprise, surprise.......turned wet, cold and windyimage

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238

Windy and cold here. Makes a change from cold and windy.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Verdun........yes, I'd probably be that selfish tooimageimage

Pansy image

I got the step ladders out this am........intended to prune the grape vine over the pergola but by the time I got up there, my fingers were too cold to work the secateurs.

Turned the compost and fed the fish and newts instead and then retreated indoors to make a load of soup.

Used to be out in all weathers.......feel like a wimp these daysimage

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,650

Soil far too wet to go near at the moment.

Had to get a young girl help me bag up recycled green waste, as elbow still playing up, felt embarrassed, wish I was younger.

Time is never time at all
    You can never ever leave
    Without leaving a piece of youth
  • Just think about all the stuff you wouldn't know if you were younger image

Might not help with the green waste ...........someone has a working elbow, you borrow it..........swings and roundaboutsimage

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160

Gdonkey2, you need to learn when to stop with back problems and when to let someone else do the heavy workimage I have a list from 'easy pezzie' to, 'to  hard to do jobs' and get help with the latter or do a little at a time.

The art is to stop before your back starts to hurt, I start pilates classes next week on perscription with the physio, I do have to make a donation for use of the room at a local gym, then decide whether to carry them on after two sessions and join a class full price (result of an infection which travelled up my spine)     

Do a little at a time, take lots of breaks and take time out to sit back and enjoy your garden, lifes to short...image

• How true Zoomer - I know I should pace myself more - but it oh so easy to get carried away with the sun shine and a host of jobs to do - my enthusiasm knows now bounds. The pilates seems like a good idea - I have only heard positive reports about it.  I do listen to my back - it tells me all the time that it hurts but sometimes I just switch off to the ache only to be reminded about the pain when I stand up from a sitting position. Yes it seems that I was positively lucky to have such wonderful weather today judging by Pansy and Phillipa and perhaps many others too.