Forum home Garden design

unusual garden, unusual problem to make safe - any ideas?

• FarmergeddunFarmergeddun Posts: 229

As a long term I would look at putting a short iron railing fence on top of the wall.  I think it would be in keeping with the character.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,214

Something for them to tie ropes to and abseil down when they are older a la St Trinians.

Personally if I'd lived somewhere like that when the kids were younger I would've shipped them out and enjoyed those views and not worried about a fenceimage

How about digging a trench inside the wall? Labour intensive but relatively cheap, it would keep the wall and make it higher.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,214

A trench would fill with water and then we'd have a whole new problem on our hands...

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 48,054

We were posting at same time there wb!

I don't think there is a cheap way of doing it natalie unless you can do it yourselves. I'd offer my services but I'm up to my eyes with my own fence!

Is it mainly the water wheel bit that's an issue? The rest of the wall just look like it leads on to 'normal' height land. Could you just  fence a small area for the children?

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

..not if there were drainage holes drill through the wall..

I was thinking about one that was wide enough for a path.  

Be me to it Fg I was going to suggest a "pen"

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

I was born and lived most of my younger years on a farm mother and father pointed out all the places we had not to go or play on from a very young age and none of us our anyone elses kids that vistited had any nasty accidents. The farm had a main road right outside and across the road a large wood area plus all the dangers of a farm father would walk around the farm and show us the dangers we had all the freedom except those places it worked.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

If kids to small for doing that fence in a nice play area to keep them away from the wall till they get older and understand the danger's.