• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,567

Well, he may be 89 now but he was only 49 when he took it on. Should have trimmed it a bit closer while he had the strength. 

I used to live near a hedge like that and it was an absolute pain in the neck to walk past. Impossible to walk two abreast. Take your ear off if you got too close. The owner never walked anywhere, let alone past their own hedge/obstruction. Drove about in a fancy car.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • PosyPosy Posts: 1,535

It is a beautiful hedge. Perhaps an expert would be able to advise and negotiate a less damaging way of reducing it over time to be safer. 

• I am afraid i have little sympathy for people whose plants grow beyond their gardens.

I do not like have to sqeeze past plants no matter how neatly trimmed they are. And find it very irritating to have to walk on the road when there is a footpath I should be able to use.

Hedges are great for wildlife but wth them comes great responsibility.

Hate to think of the Mums with double buggies.

I was expecting the problem to be a yew tree too close to a school or something silly like that :P

• I'm with the authority here. He should be keeping it to the width of his garden, not half the width of the path!

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,533

But the hedge was planted in 1880 and is beautifully trimmed. From the look of the photos there is enough room for two people to pass on the pavement, it certainly isn't half the width of the pavement.

2 minutes later - just looked at the hedge on Google maps, there is one corner that could be dangerous where the hedge overhangs the pavement. I think that corner should be cut back hard and the rest of the hedge is fine. As usual, journalism is exaggerating.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • B-L I agree the corner looks awful. The quote does say that it is bad 'in parts'.

Cutting it mega short seems unfair to me too, it could easily be reduced in external thickness and should cover up again by next summer?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 53,886

Yes, just cut it back - it'll cover up perfectly well. 

Overhanging hedges are a huge nuisance, for pedestrians, buggies and people using wheelchairs and can be dangerous. 

Mountain being made out of molehill. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• KT53KT53 Posts: 3,360

Overgrown hedges can be a damn nuisance, and it would seem that this one falls into that category in some parts.  Yes it is a lovely looking hedge, but it has presumably expanded over the years and is now causing a problem.

I've seen comments about yew being extremely slow growing.  Somebody should tell my yew that!  If it's cut back it will look a mess for a time but it will grow back.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,576

I'm afraid I have to agree with others. Allowing your hedge to overgrow is just lazy and selfish.

Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,356

I've seen Yew cut back hard, it grows a new fuzzy layer in months. Yes it looks bad for a year or so.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3