gardening toolbox

Hi guys my group and i are looking to design a gardening toolbox however we need your opinions on so that we design something useful. it will be designed so that it will be easy to use by people who may have certain disabilities or restrictions. therefore i wanted to know whether you feel that a gardening toolbox would be useful to you and what features would you like for your ideal toolbox. if you already own one i would like to know what problems you may have or what limiting factors you do not like about them.

responses would be greatly appreciated.

rollout 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,705

What do you envisage being put in this toolbox? 

Anything muddy or wet wouldn't want to be put in a box. And if it's going to be hung up to dry it might as well be left hanging up.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • hi pansyface 

thank you for the response. we envisage that small hand tool such as trowels forks etc within the main compartment however one of the concepts of our tool box is it will be a mode of transporting larger tools such as spades of forks and even larger tools such as hoes and rakes. by way of holders on the outside of the box. the tool box will also be on wheels so it will also be easily transportable.

regarding the muddy or dirty tools we believe that the toolbox could be modified to have hooks or hangers for dirty tools also the materials that will be used for the toolbox will be selected with corrosion resistance in mind.

once again thank you for the response it is greatly appreciated.

rollout 

• hi guys please read my response to the first question it will clarify some things 

• Novice7Novice7 Posts: 57

Seat 

Somewhere to stow a kneeling pad

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,873

I assume you are thinking along the lines of the airport cleaning trolleys,

I use a poly wheelbarrow, everything on there I may need,  pneumatic tyre so easy to push, hooks in the shed for big tools.

Cant help you really, most people just take what they want out in the garden, at the time they want it, not many people will take everything out at all times.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I just carry the small stuff in an IKEA blue bag or similar, and take the larger things by hand as I need them; there's nothing worse than trying to carry two different rakes, secateurs, pockets full of twine, a spade, a fork, some loppers and a leaf blower all at the same time. One of them will stab you or trip you up sooner or later. A lot depends on the accessibility of your garden.

• Not sure what size garden you are thinking of or how you think people workimage My garden is fairly sizeable but I just sling small things into my trug and carry them or use my wheelbarrow to transport larger things, as I'm sure to need it. If I forget anything it doesn't matter, as I will soon need to go in to feed a cat, have a coffee, or use the loo. I can collect anything else I need then. As Joe says, accessibility is important: my garden is all banks and hills and narrow grassy paths that meander and a great heavy (with all those tools!) box on wheels is the last thing that I would want. I usually know if |I will need fork and rake, or loppers and saw, or trowel and secateurs or whatever combination suits the job in hand and see no point in carting about things that I won't need that day.

PS: Most of my tools end up dirty everytime I use them - it's called mud and it comes from contact with soil!

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

Mines two terrace.  small stuff in a plastic Sainsbury basket . Big stuff just carry . image

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 1,502

Simplicity is the key.So many things today are designed to do too much with too many bits and pieces.

Small tools,twine,labels etc. I carry in a plastic trug.Big tools I just take them to where I need them with a whellbarrow.All easy to keep clean(ish!).

Too many things attached to a barrow type thing with wheels can be very unweildy especially if you have disabilities or restrictions.

“Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • Rollout............what you are describing, particularly if fully loaded as you suggest, will be far too unwieldy and prone to sink into the ground during wet weather.  You would also require space undercover to house it.

A tool belt / plastic bucket / wheelbarrow ( all of which are readily available ) will suffice for most ordinary gardenersimage