Forum home Wildlife gardening

Wildlife in enclosed rear garden

Hello friends

I have had some wildlife digging underneath our fense over the last couple of weeks and would be grateful for your thoughts on what it could be. Fox, mole, badger, rabbits?

The garden is fully enclosed by 6ft fences on 2 sides, plus a 20ft brick wall, so no gaps for something the size of a large badger, but I suspect foxes are able to jump fences etc?  I am not sure that it is a mole as whatever it is appears to be digging from the surface and not from beneath. One of the pictures show where the digging has burrow out some of the hardcore stones etc that are part of my neighbours hardcore for their shed, so whatever this is is pretty strong.  I cannot see any droppings, foot prints

As always your view are welcome before I call in a local pest control foro advice.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi. I don't think it's a fox we have fox's round here and they don't climb fences. It's too small for a badger, not a mole it could be a rabbit or a rat if it's by next door's shed, but I'm not sure about the last 2image
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,122

First bet - rat 99.9% sure

Otherwise - rabbit - has a neighbour's pet escaped?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 21,178

My money's on Mr. Rat.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 21,135

I think Rat as well. Pour some rat poison down the hole then cover well with a piece  of slate or wood so nothing else takes it. Keep putting the poison down until it's still there the next day.

We find now that the only one that works is Neosorexa, the ones you buy in the hardware shops is pretty useless, you need to go to a Farmers store.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Peanuts3Peanuts3 Posts: 759

oh this in an interesting post.  I don't have a clue on what it might be but just wanted to say foxes do jump fences.  We have 4ft fences and they easily jump those, I've watched them do it. pesky things imageimageimage

Good luck with stopping whatever is digging up your garden.

• I don't think a rat would bother digging all that stuff - no need whatsoever as they can get through far smaller holes than that without any problem. 

From the size, I'd say probably a rabbit.  It could have got into your garden via an open gate and needed to find a way out.

Foxes will walk along the top of some fences - they're almost as nimble as a cat.  But that hole wasn't made by a fox.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 20,378

Don't think it's big enough for a badger. My daughter had one digging under her fence. It killed her son's pet rabbit. It destroyed a strong outdoor rabbit run and left footprints. Then they saw it from the window early one morning. The hole was about 30cm wide.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I think it's a rat. Good luck!