Greenhouses

OH and I are looking to buy a greenhouse, but don't have a huge budget. He wants to go for a smaller model (5x8) and have it in green because it will be visible from the house. I am worried we might regret going for a smaller one, and that we should perhaps get the 6x8 but in the plain aluminium, even though it might be a bit unattractive in the garden.

What do people think - is larger always better? Am I just going to be annoyed in a few months time that I don't have much room?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,499

Consider yourself standing in a space 5x8, turning round, bending down etc. Enough room? Now mark out a space 6x8. More comfy?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

Get the aluminium one and paint the frame before glazing it. 

That's what we didimage

• ChuffChuff Posts: 16

If you are serious about a greenhouse, then you will discover that you always want a bigger one. Or another one. Although to be honest, the size difference you are looking at is not huge.

One thing to check is headroom - the 5' may well be lower at the ridge.

The green/aluminium issue only matters off season - when it's full nobody will notice the frame.

I'd go with nut cutlet's idea.image

• HotspurHotspur Posts: 30

I paid £350 for a palram 6x8 polycarbonate g/house 5 years ago and it has proved a great investment. With the benefit of experience however, I would now buy a 8x10 and with toughened glass although I realise I would kiss goodbye to £500+. It is better to have spare space rather than falling over yourself. If the memsahib would permit I would have a 16ft polytunnel and grow pineapples!!

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,126

My main client has a 30'x8 hand made GH. The previous gardener hardly used it,. I have filled it with cuttings, overwintered pelargonium and a host of other bits and pieces so go for as big as you can. Where I'm going to put stuff in spring is my problem.

• LilyPLilyP Posts: 15
    Thanks everyone, that has made up my mind - we'll go for the larger one. Thanks for pointing out about the ridge height Chuff, I hadn't thought to check it.

Nutcutlet, what did you use to paint it? Very excited about this idea! I had assumed any paint we used would flake off pretty quick and that was why the powder coated frames were so expensive.
  • PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,490

I was in your position a couple of years ago. I want for powered coated because my GH is very near the house and everyone can see it, a plain ali would of stuck out like a sore thumb. 

Ideally the space is more important but I would save up some more pennys so you will both be happy image.

I dont know if your buy new or not but greenhouse people are selling a powered coated 8 x 6 for £332 which which very cheap considering how much Pcoating costs. Keep a eye on gumtree/ebay some hidden gems you can find sometimes

2 pack car body paint.  It's a bit deadly, follow the H&S guidelines. Needs etch primer to start. External metalwork paint might do just as well, cheaper as well as less deadlyimage

Ours it British Racing Green. Very tastefulimage

10 years and very little damage inside or puit

I wonder how many aerosols from the car parts shop would be needed. might be an easier option

• ChuffChuff Posts: 16

Another option is a quick call to your local power coating company or car bodyshop. They might be able to spray an aluminium frame for less than the difference of a green one?