Forum home Talkback

Pyracantha on house wall

Does anyone have any experience of training a pyracantha around a front door? Is it ok to plant in a planting pocket by the front door or best to give it a big pot? Would it damage the walls or foundations in any way, do you think?

Thanks

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,718

I would avoid, because they are vicious especially if you come in contact with it regularly. 

• Do you mean avoid from the point of view of getting a prickle in the eye, or of damage to the house? Thanks Perki

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I had one not round a front door but up the front wall of my house. It was lovely in all seasons but has horrendous sharp  thorns. You need to train it up a trellis until it's established and trim it into a niice shape. I wouldn't personally have it round a front door as the thorns are very long and sharp. Not unless you are going to keep it well clipped.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 29,989

They're fine in that location Geumf - they'll do no harm to house walls or foundations. I had one next to my front door for years - trained up the wall at the side. The blackbirds were frequent visitors to the steps for the berries image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes very prickly the thorns are really sharp, I have one next to a fence where I can give it a wide birth.  

• Thanks all. I was planning to clip it tight against the wall, so more worried about any damage to wall/house... Will give it some thought though

They dont  grab / twine / climb like ivy would for example. It will  need a structure to tie and train up.

• Right. I think you have all helped me to decide. Trachelopsermum jasminoides it is, in a planting pocket by front door, a few horizontal wires to twine it around. It's north-east facing but I have always found them to be pretty free flowering in whatever situation...