seedss

Has anyone sown seeds in a cold house yet this year- without heating but under glass or perhaps a plastic bag or similar?

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,659

only seeds I have sown and left in the cold greenhouse are Angelica gigas, 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,087

aquilegia is good for sowing now as well

• Hi nutcutlet - yes I have planted some of those - saved the seed from last year's crop, also some geum, hollyhocks and teasel - all doing well and have been potted on. The free packet of sweat peas from G.W. could perhaps be planted now too - what do others think?

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 272

Too cold in my part of the country, I'm going to start mine inside, even the hardy ones which will go onto a cold window ledge.  I imagine farther south you could get away with it.  My Autumn planted annuals (sweet peas, calendula etc) are surviving well in the cold greenhouse but germination might be problematical.

• CaralCaral Posts: 301

Hello Rosie, yes, I have sown early peas - meteror', sweetpeas, and calendula.  

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

desperate to start sowing think too cold here usually start sweet peas inside early march

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,234

I am in the South, still won't start till March.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

Haven't sown anything yet, probably March for me too, may sow lobelia the end of Feb.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • I have just plugged in my heated propagator and am going to plant some cosmos in it  tomorrow - pouring with rain here and daylight is fading rapidly. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,226

One reason for not sowing too early is that there aren't enough hours of daylight yet for certain plants.

Dordogne and Norfolk