Forum home Tools and techniques

Compost / leaf mould activator

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,799

So, OH very kindly provided a few pints of 'activator' when I gathered my leaf mould pile (it's a full builders bulk bag thingummy). I have a few questions:

• The leaves are drying out quite frequently. They're in a sheltered spot as I have nowhere else for them. Do they need to be constantly wet or is my fairly regular watering of them going to be enough?
  • Is it better to dilute the activator, in order to have more liquid to go around, or would it work better neat?
  • Is there any benefit to continuing to use activator or is one initial dose enough? Might I overdo it?

Thanks for advice image

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Hi You don't nead a activator just kept moist and turn over once a week. If you can shred them it will be better. It will take a few years image
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

Mine are mown up in Autumn after leaf fall. ( not this winter as it's not stopped raining) then go in a dumpy sack and are leaf to their own devices. Usable the following summer.

Devon.
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,799

So do they dry out, Hostafan? Mine are very dry each time I look at them. Is a dumpy sack the same thing as a bulk bag? I couldn't mow mine as I collected them from a nearby pavement.

And can anyone answer my Qs re the application of pee?

- Cicero
  • Builders bags (and the dumpy bags I have met) tend to be woven mesh and thus let in the breeze which dries out the leaves.

Using strong disposable gloves, or a couple of boards, transfer the leaves to old plastic compost bags so they are protected from the wind. Then stack the full bags in the dumpy to keep them tidy.

Moisten them again by any means available, that should start to break them down and the plastic bags should now conserve the moisture.

If you leave the bags open, the top inch or two will dry out in a sheltered spot but that I think is better than covering them, and any ambient moisture will find a way in.

Sadly I don't think they will rot enough for use this summer, but in 2017 you'll have some lovely material.

When I use this method (without the dumpy bag though) I am always surprised by the number of worms in the finished mould, and I have no idea how they get there. 

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,799

Thanks Doug, that's a good idea! I emptied them all out of bin bags into the bulk bag... wish I hadn't now.

- Cicero