Forum home Wildlife gardening

Big Garden Birdwatch 2016

LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049

https://ww2.rspb.org.uk/discoverandenjoynature/discoverandlearn/birdwatch/ 

Who is planning to do the Birdwatch this weekend, 30 & 31 January 2016? I thought I'd start a thread for people to ask questions, post about what they saw (or didn't), add photos etc all about the birdwatch image

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049

I did it last year and picked the wrong hour I think. There had been plenty of birds the day before, and there were plenty the day after... but during the hour I was watching jusg a few pigeons and a blackbird! I hope to have a more interesting hour this weekend. 

- Cicero

Maybe they know that the RSPB will work harder on their behalf if they're diminishing? Do you think they read my RSPB mag?

- Cicero
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

I shall be doing it.

I started at the crack of dawn last year. I looked out of the bedroom window and saw a pair of buzzards in one of the poplars.

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

There's no such thing as being bird-brained. They know when they are being watched and will have no part in itimage.

I've been doing the watch for a few years now and usually tell everyone in the house what I'm doing.  Does it stop them going out to the bin, sending the birds flying off?  Noimage.  I've had a woodpecker visiting every day for the past weekimage.  Will it appear at the weekend?image

Good luck with your 'watches' everyone who's taking part.  It's a good time for a cuppa and feet up with binoculars within reachimage

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,877

Your woodpecker won't appear Lesley, neither will mine, green or greater spotted.

The moorhen has already disappeared from the pond in readiness and the heron hasn't been seen for ages.

I can rely on the blackbirds, tits and finches though

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,279

I haven't even had any tits for the past few days (that sounds image) - a pair of amorous woodpigeons, and the occasional blackbird is the sum total of our visitors just recently - oh, and a cormorant flying low over the garden, but I don't suppose he'll come back at the weekend image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

I know Nutimage.  Wow, you're lucky having a green woodpecker visiting as I've never seen oneimage.  They may all surprise us yet - it depends on the weather.  If it's very cold we'll get more, if it's mild or windy we'll see less, if it's foggy ..............

Tell you what, Dove - dress up as a cormorant and stand in the 'drying feathers' position in your garden. That'll get him back. And if it doesn't, the photos will be worth seeing!

My brother (who works for the RSPB) came round to join us as we watched last year. I'm always telling him "Oh such-and-such a bird was in my garden today" so my paltry tally was quite embarrassing...

- Cicero
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,279

I know LG - I've had some lovely birds in this garden - but never ever during the last weekend of January - do you think your brother could get the RSPB to rearrange when they do the count - March would be good image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

He's a minion, so I doubt it! It must be a considered date though, mustn't it? Probably a calculation of January = cold weather = feathered visitors. And maybe not too many leaves means they're more visible?

- Cicero