Forum home Talkback

ID please

I found this in the undergrowth in a clients garden today. I don't remember seeing it flower last year. A bit like an Iris, sword shaped leaves with rhizomes. Any ideas anyone?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,093

rhizomes and all that stringy stuff suggest an iris of some sort Dave.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

A clump of bearded iris?  Old and tired and in need to rejuvenation therefore not flowering. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Looks like they need lifting, splitting and replantingimage

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I have lifted them all and stored them before I relocate them, but I'd like to know exactly if anyone has a suggestion. The leaves are almost deciduous and they are quite different to the Iris's I have in my garden.

• Take the best pieces and re plant in a suitable place ?  What sort of suggestion did you mean Dave ?

I don't know Phillipa, just fishing really, think I'll just wash them off and plant them up. Could be a nice surprise layer in the year.

• Good plan David...........you could also stick one bit in a pot......it may perform earlier and then you can see exactly what you haveimage

Yeah come to that conclusion. Just that bit of doubt which lingers but that's the joy of gardening!image

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 1,663

I got some yellow flag iris ( pseudacorus ), they have broad sword shape leaves. I am not saying they are yellow flag iris but they do look similar to mine. Just wait and see I suppose image