Forum home Tools and techniques

Windowsill propagator

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,085

Mmmm - that's a good idea ... I can probably get them from Notcutts when I need them image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,085

Do you leave yours switched on 24 hours a day?  I see that some reviewers only switch theirs on at night when their central heating is off .

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331

I have mine switched on 24 hours. Our conservatory has a radiator but is usually left on the "frost" setting. I do sometimes switch it off later in spring to save energy as the conservatory can get quite hot on sunny days. Problem is, I then have to remember to do myself a reminder to switch it back on!image

I also have some extra trays so I can rotate them like Yviesteve.

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,893

Leave them on as I don't heat the conservatory all the time even though it does have radiators.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I leave mine switched on.

• PerkiPerki Rossendale - LancashirePosts: 2,285

I have a little Stewart propagator, just fits on the windowsill. I quite like it, temperature pre-set at 18C and it only use 8 watt of power. I use my other bigger  stewart when I running out of space.

super 7 garland looks good as well. 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,293

I have a second set of trays for my super 7 too - like Yvie, once seeds have germinated I move them (onto a self watering tray ....life gets too busy on weekdays to be checking them all the timeimage) and then start a second set off.  The produce of 14 mini trays is about as much as my GH can cope with in April/Mayimage

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Now that I've read your comments I'm thinking of buying the Super 7 propagator. Would the seeds germinate on a north-facing windowsill? I would take the trays out of the propagator and move them on a south-facing windowsill once the seeds have sprouted, and then pot on and put into one of these plastic minigreenhouses. Is that a good plan?

Can you put pots into the propagator trays? I'm thinking of making my own pots from newspaper, so as not to have to repot the seedlings too soon.

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 331

I would think that being north facing makes no difference as long, as it doesn't get too cold, before seeds have germinated. If placed on a south facing once they have, just be careful they don't get scorched.

You can put whatever you like in the propagator. I quite often use pots to start cucumbers and courgettes etc. With the paper pots you'll have to check they don't dry out too quickly. It's a minefield this seed propagating business!!!

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

Thanks, Marygold, that's very useful. It's my first season growing from seed (or first season growing anything but tomatoes in a growbag, really), so I'm very excited and slightly nervous.