Windowsill propagator

Hi, Would welcome advice on a propagator for utility room , windowsill.

May like it to be heated if growing from seed and constant temperature is required ?

I would be delighted for some replies.

I am a novice gardener and I would like to grow some flowers from seed and transfer to cold frame afterwards.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152
    I have a super 7 garland electric windowsill propagator, it's ideal for sowing small quantity seeds.
  • Thanks Zookmer, I know that some seeds are fussy and like to be at a certain temperature for a certain time in order to germinate. I think some electric propagators can be set to a specific temperature while other cannot. My utility room is heated , but not that warm as an extension to house without proper solum. Should I still go electric ?

Thanks,Alastair 

• MarygoldMarygold Posts: 325

I have a super 7 too, in my conservatory. It has a pre set temperature so cannot be adjusted. They usually come with 7 quarter size seed trays with lids. Extra ones are available. You will need an electric socket nearby (or an extension cable). They're very good to get you started. Good luck and hope you have a flower filled garden!

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,529
    I have a super 7 too - its turned my seed sowing success rate from disastrous to pretty darn good image
    We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,152
    I use mine in a heated room but the heating isn't on 24-7 and the temp soon drops when it goes off. Seeds need a constant temp to geminate, if you want to start sowing early you'll need to go electric, any windowsill will do
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

Ditto. I wouldnt be without mine. Also it is narrow so doesn't take up too much room and is easy to store when not in use. it is also easy to clean.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 56,566

OK folks  - you've persuaded me - I've just ordered one for myself image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,529

You won't regret it Doveimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

Love mine,  I have the triple one and get a really good germination rate quite quickly, it means I can start off lots of seeds in a relatively short time. 

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 4,874

Oh, I also bought a spare set of trays, it means I can take them off the heat once they have germinated and leave them to grow on to the pricking out stage while I sow another batch of seeds in the propagator.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands