Forum home Plants

What do I do now

nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

I won this in a bike club raffleimage

I don't know what it is or what to do with it. I'm the kiss of death to a houseplant and know nothing about them but feel pretty sure the leaves shouldn't look like this

If one of my garden plants looked like that I'd consider a deficiency of something.

Helpimage 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Are the leave always two-tone Philippa?

thanks for the name, when I won it I as told it was an agapanthus. Even I know better than that.

How do I not kill it?image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,361

Yes, clivia - follow the instructions https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=655

and remember, it's a plant - just like all the others image 

Don't ignore it just 'cos it's indoors - it's not a piece of furniture image

Maybe a dose of Baby Bio weekly ...

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

That's where it all goes wrong Dove. Things in the house can be ignored; dust, heaps of paper, grubby wash basins.

Not plants you think? I'm out of my comfort zone here

image  Pretend the house is a greenhouse ???

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I've had one for years, I grew it from seed and it is very healthyimage It is not too fussy about temperatures and likes a a good drink from time to timeimage But mine has never floweredimage My greenhouse book says they need a dormant period at about 10degrees somewhere cool and airy to induce flowering. Mine is currently in a cold draughty porch to see if that will do the trick. At least yours already has flowers for this year!

We shall see Buttercup days.

I might offer it to a friend who's better at that sort of thing. 

Not till after I've had the flowers thoughimage

Supper now while it's flowering Tetley?

Or later when it's finished

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,827

I had one for about 4 years and it flowered every year.  It must thrive on neglect because I'm useless with houseplants.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

me too Yvie, this one will be lonely. Nothing else left aliveimage

nutcutlet wrote (see)

That's where it all goes wrong Dove. Things in the house can be ignored; dust, heaps of paper, grubby wash basins.

Not plants you think? I'm out of my comfort zone here

I've not noticed dust and grubbiness in your house Nut image... but then I tend not to notice it as much in my own nowadays ... think it's something to do with needing glasses now I'm older image