Newts

Just spotted at least 2 newts in my pond today.  Much earlier than usual in my experience.  Anyone else noticed their newts active ?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,428

No, ours are still tucked up in bed.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

No, but the heron reduced the population last year and I don't know how many I've got left.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,809

has frogs calling in my pond...till last week when it froze over! but its 13 degrees now so i'm expecting them back again soon!

• I've certainly had some frogs calling in the pond ( and the veg patch too ) but that was a couple of weeks ago.  I'm a bit blasé now about the frogsimage

It was really the Newts in there so early that made me comment.  Normally, like Pansy's, they are still tucked up in bed at this time.  I thought I'd noticed one about 3 weeks ago but as I've also got some baby fish from last year and it zipped up to the surface and back down so quickly,  I thought maybe I was mistaken.  Don't know for sure but yesterday's sightings were definitely Newts.

Nutcutlet....I remember you mentioning before about the Heron.......hope you still have a viable population.  Oh, Newts rather than Herons I meanimage

• Saw the first smooth newt in our pond 5th January. Found one on the lawn last night also and a couple in the pond. Never usually see them until mid February. Must be the warm weather bringing them out early.