Recommendation for heavy duty loppers please

Can anyone recommend a make of loppers that will stand up to really tough work?  They will be a present for my brother-in-law who has a large and unruly garden to renovate - he will be tackling big overgrown shrubs and branches.   I have bought cheap loppers in the past and found that their handles bend when put under real pressure (by my OH, not me!) which is of course useless.   Is anyone able to give me a recommendation for some tough ones?

• I've got a pair of Spear and Jackson loppers.......they seem to tackle most jobs image

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

The fiskars are pretty tough, however the main cause of loppers breaking are when people try to overload them by trying to cut too thicker branches. A good pruning saw would be a great addition as a present.

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

Got mine from focus. now wickes. Many years of service . plus I use a pruning saw on the thicker stuff image

• I bought mine (extendables) about ten years back in a garden centre near Plymouth - there is no label on them but I suspect they are "Spear and Jackson". They were being sold as part of a set of three - the other two items being a pruning knife and a pair of secateurs. The Secs broke within a month but I still have and use the loppers and the knife. Anything more than about 5cm (thats approx 2 inches in old money) is dealt with by a pruning saw. I did pay a tad more than the going rate at the time - to be expected at a garden centre I suppose - but they turned out to be good value for money. My next-door neighbour has a pair with a ratchet on them and they seem to be pretty useful. He says he bought them at "Homebase".

• hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 3,970

I have a pair of Wilkinson ratchet loppers - had and used them for years.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,473

My loppers are Wolf and they're very good and robust.  I've had them for years but they can't really be expected to cut through more than an inch or so of branch.  For thicker branches I use a Wolf pruning saw attachment which fits with the length of handle I need for the job so hand tool, medium or full length accordingly.

The same handles work with an assortment of hoe, rake, cultivator and rake heads for whichever job is in hand.  Great system.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • I agree with Hogweed a visit to Wilkinson is good.

their loppers and shears are excellent its always the first place I visit.

I have to say though I still use Loppers left by my old Dad that have survived

about sixty years and have cut some tidy shrubs etc.