Potatoes - Earlies and Main Crop

I have finally got 4 beds sorted out in my back garden and rotating them in a 4 year cycle and they are grouped as follows.

1. Brassicas
  2. Roots and Onions
  3. Peas and Beans
  4. Potatoes

What I was wondering was, in the potato bed can I grow earlies, harvest them and then plant a second crop (main) in the same bed that year?

My beds are big enough for a full bag of about 25 - 30 seed potatoes but not big enough to grow both together.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,199

I would not recommend it.  Potatoes are heavy feeders and remove a lot of nitrogen and potash from the soil, so you would need to replace these. Also you run the considerable risk of Blight and lots of other nasties building up in the soil.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    I agree with Berghill, I'd plant second earlies when harvested plant that's fast growing, like salad leaves, rocket,or some peas that will over winterimage
  • Thanks. That's what I thought.

I have not tried to grow peas over the winter but if I did then I guess I can plant more peas in that bed in the spring time?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,248

I agree too. But I grow Charlotte, which is a second early. I leave them in the ground, digging them when I need them and they usually last until Christmas. They are like new potatoes to start with, then they grow bigger and the leaves die down and they are more like maincrop potatoes.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BoaterBoater Posts: 241

If you have space you could perhaps plant earlies in bags/pots and use the beds for maincrop in oreder to extend the cropping season. Or plant different varieties in the same bed.

• I may try and grow some earlies alongside the main crop to see if I can get a longer supply.

I did try doing some xmas potatoes in bags, they were going well until I earthed them up with soil rather than compost (which I used initially). That seemed to have killed them. Still not sure why they died though.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,283

Leeks are great for following earlies but you need to start them off in modules or a nursery bed and transplant once you've lifted the spuds and added some fertilizer.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.