Forum home Plants

Wintergreen

Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Hats off to Morrisons, I just bought 10 Gaultheria (wintergreen) in there for 10 pounds, I only went in for a newspaper!

Anyway the label says plant in full sun but an internet search says all sorts of different things - full sun, must be planted in shade, must be planted in full shade etc etc.

I don't want to kill them so can anyone tell me from their own experience what conditions they thrive best in as my google search has not been fruitful.

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

Luckily although I live on chalk downland my garden is actually acid clay. I sit in a pocket of clay near a river and my garden grows all the clay plants very well. I have azaleas and so on growing very happily so it should be ok.

• NoraWNoraW Posts: 393

My potted wintergreen is mostly shaded, but gets a quick blast of sun around midday. It's doing very well image

Isn't it great when the experts can't agree image My garden is mostly shade and semi shade with one bed in the sun. I was thinking of putting it as a front of bed edging plant in the sunny bed and using pachysandra to edge the deep shade beds.

I totally agree, I've found a few of the plants that supposedly cannot be grown in shade have done really well there.

• One of my current favourites, Gaultheria which is covered in bright red berries and flourishing in my soil which is acidic on the local sandy beds. What a good bargain you have Lou.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122

I have several of the prostrate ones - mostly in shade with a bit of late sun in summer. They're great little plants. Neutral clay soil here and they are perfectly happy. We do get a lot of rain but that doesn't affect them either, as the bed is full of grit/compost/manure so the soil is nice and friable. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....