Forum home Tools and techniques

Patchy new lawn

Good afternoon,

I wonder if anyone could offer some advice regarding my lawn?

In October I relawned my rear garden, having first removed the old turf, dug over the soil (Clay soil) and added 3 - 4 tonnes of top soil before laying new turf.

Initially the turves grew quite quickly and the grass has taken well to the ground.

Since then though, it hasn't stopped raining and a couple of patches have become waterlogged and the grass has become thin and bare.

Is there anything I can do to improve and thicken the grass again now that it is drying out a bit? Can I start to reseed it to improve this? Its a shame because the rest of the lawn still looks great.

Any advice would be gratefully received.  Thanks

• Evening Verdun,

That sounds like great advice. I shall do as you suggest, Thankyou for your response,

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

John waterlogged area's will water log again and again each winter if you just reseed (sorry Verdun), you need to improve the drainage in those areas before you reseed. Before reseeding lift the turf in those areas and dig in grit to improve the drainage, then reseed it. 99% of the gardens I work in are on clay so I can appreciate the problem. Easily resolved though.