Forum home Talkback

fig tree

rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

I have a mature fig tree in our back garden. None of us like figs, the leaves are enormous, it casts loads of shade in the small east facing plot( it's on the west facing wall) and it has no blossom on spring. it does look nice now as it has twisted  branches that look nice bare, how much of a nightmare would it be to get rid and replace with an apple tree that I could fan train/espalier? this won't be an immediate job, still got to get rid of rhodo in front 1st, just wondered if you all think I'm mad?

• Simon69Simon69 Posts: 68

Please be extremely cautious with regard to the sap from certain types of fig trees.

If it contacts your skin you don’t notice anything immediately. Even after washing your hands nothing is apparent. The next day many people suffer very nasty blisters akin to burns.

Thick gloves, all bare skin covered and it’s also advisable to wear eye protection as the sap can blind.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

You don't like figs???????? image  Send them here .... pleeeeeeeeeeeease imageimage

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

ah yes another reason I hate it, spend so long chopping leaves off to let in light and often get the horrid sap on me, have to keep children away...sorry Dove, don't hate them but not fussed, also I can only give away so many jars of fig and ginger jam!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,786

We've got a little fig tree - we're growing it so we can have warm figs with honey and yoghurt for breakfast and training it up and over to shade the terrace ... sounds like you and I should swap houses image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    There is nothing so delicious as a sun-ripened fig that you have managed to keep from the birds or wasps.

I'll fight you for them, Dove! I beat off a hornet so I could eat a fig at Aberglasney Garden in Carmarthenshire.

The joy of UK figs is that they don't have seeds, just wonderful flesh. Yum.

PS I do think you are mad to get rid of a bearing fig tree.
  • rosemummyrosemummy Posts: 2,010

Dove great idea!! think you may need to prepare to downsize to a tiny garden! I know some people would love one but it seems to give little and take a lot ( of light!)

• If you want to get rid of your Fig totally Rosemummy, I'd make sure that you remove the whole tree, roots and all.

IME they are extremely resilient and will sucker from the roots if just cut down.

Depends on the size of it as to whether you can tackle it yourself or whether you would be better to get some (professional ) help.

They are attractive trees , plus the fruit of course, but if you don't like figs they can be overpowering in a small space and not much use to you. 

Hope you get it sortedimage 

• lesinnllesinnl Posts: 35

I have a fig that will very soon need moving to another plot, to make way for my workshop extension.  It will need to go in the next few weeks or so. Will it kill the little beast if I move it during this cold weather?

• lesinnllesinnl Posts: 35

The variety I have no idea, but I am in NL and it has always done well. It is planted in a tight little spot, I am thinking of putting it in a pot in the greenhouse for now.  We have had 2 days of minus temps but it is warming up again with possible double figure temps come the weekend. Eventually I want it to go back in the ground, but again restricting the roots.