Forum home Fruit & veg

Old-fashioned corn?

Where can I find seeds for corn on the cob that isn't one of the 'super-sweet", "sugar-enhanced" varieties?  They seem to have taken over completely from the old-fashioned kind in seed catalogues.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,238
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,820
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks very much for the swift replies, people. They both look hopeful;  Realseeds only has one, but it seems to be the best of all.  Have you tried any of them?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,820

I've not tried their sweetcorn, but I've used other of their seeds which have always been of really good quality image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

Real seeds are very good, always fresh seed. 

Can't grow it here. Too short a summer. Too cold.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160
    Have you tried growing mini pop Pansyface, it has a shorter growing time than corn on the cob. It doesn't need to be polinated and can be grown in rows. It' s picked when the cobs are still small and the strands coming from the cobs are still yellow. The plants themselves though are 6 to 7 ft tall.

I had two crops last year by sowing seeds 4 weeks apart
    Never having heard of "mini pop", I Googled it and was rather confused to read about some kind of music for preteenage children. Not for me, I think.

Then it occurred to me that it might be some sort of miniature popcorn producing plant. I'd rather eat toasted polystyrene granules than popcorn. Surely not?

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160
    Try googling sweet corn, mini pop, Pansyface. Most seed companies sell the seeds and give good descriptions of what it is.
  • Realseeds and Vegetableseedstore don't sell them, presumably because they're modern F1 hybrids, but here's a link to people that do:

http://www.vegetableseeds.net/Sweet_Corn_Minipop_p/scn06.htm

They sound rather good  -  I'll give them a try if I have any money or garden space left after ordering from realseeds ...