Can I, should I hoe?

LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,531

Rookie question, sorry.

I am preparing to lay a lawn later in the year, and have had to build up the area, so it's bare topsoil a the moment. Little weed seedlings have started to crop up over the recent warm weeks, and it's been very wet (I'm in SE London). I'm trying not to walk on the soil as it needs raking, more adding and treading to make it flat for the lawn. This means pulling them up individually isn't really an option, and I've been avoiding hoeing because it's been soooo soggy and muddy. But overnight last night was dry and cold, it's frosty and dry today and due to be dry tomorrow too - good time to hoe? Or will i just make things worse?

Sounds odd but I've never really been a hoer (careful how you say that!) so not really sure of the dos & don'ts.

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
- Cicero

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 2,531

It's not exactly dry... but it's about as dry as it's likely to get for some time! Thanks for your advice - I will hoe with gusto image

- Cicero

Ssshhh, or everyone will want one image

- Cicero
  • Me personally if soil is wet leave it . I am getting a plot ready for vegetables and have now covered it up with plastic sheet to dry it out and warm it up . I think if wet you wont really achieve much .

It's not exactly dry... but it's about as dry as it's likely to get for some time! Thanks for your advice - I will hoe with gusto image

- Cicero
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,211

That's a lot of gusto LG....imageimageimage

I'd agree with Verd - I gently forked a little bit of a main border in the mild pre-Christmas weather, as it was a bit soggy and compacted with the birds. It let air in, and it's now getting a good frosting  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

Yes, I don't know what happened there!  Hiccups?

I hoed. The ground was rather harder than it looked. It remains to be seen whether I did the right thing, but it certainly kept me warm!

- Cicero