Growing Leeks.

Very popular in the Northeast of England. Do any of you grow Leeks ?

• I live in The Netherlands and I always grow my own leeks. image

I sow them in spring and plant out later. They usually do well and I wouldn't want to be without them.

Am harvesting now from the garden, as long as it doesn't start freezing really hard, because then I won't be able to get them out of the ground! image

• I think leeks very easy to grow and people tend to make it far too complicated. At the end of the day I grow them to eat not for exhibition. They are very versatile and don't have to take up too much space. I use the young ones which are not doing very well in salads and put the others in anywhere I have a space. When they outgrow their space I just harvest them. Good to put them in late where I live, leave over winter and harvest late spring.

• VegboyVegboy Posts: 10

I have grown leeks for a number of years for eating. I love them and they seem to cope well with colder temperatures.

What varieties are you growing ?

I grew pot leeks for exhibition for the first time last year and entered them in my local show. Great fun. Loved it !

• Vegboy....."Very popular in the Northeast of England", bordering on obsession/religion in some cases. image I believe the coveted seed is passed around and rarely leaves the waistcoat pocket. image

I grow 'Mammoth Blanch Leek' by Robinsons for the local show bench (not pot-leeks) and they do reasonably well at this level.

By choice I grow the old tried & tested 'Musselburgh' for the table, but in my soil, most of them seem to do well.

• Mel MMel M Posts: 347

I have never had great success with leeks no matter which type I plant or how well I prep the beds. In fact the best results I had were from 'Musselburgh' which I started in modules then planted into an unprepared bed. A little feed and water was all they recieved and the results were OK but no more. This year I am broadcast sowing a bed for baby leeks, hopefully avoiding rust which all my leeks have suffered from.

• VegboyVegboy Posts: 10

These were my pot leeks from last year. First year growing. First year showing and a win at my local show image

• LeifUKLeifUK Posts: 573

I've grown them for two years in my heavy clay soil. Dead easy to grow, not always pretty, but tasty.

• MaisieMMaisieM Posts: 81

I grew them for the first time this year with great success - I'm very inexperienced & most things go wrong!!

• lesinnllesinnl Posts: 35

I try them every year but always a fantastic failure.  Here in NL everyone grows leeks, it must be that I am not Dutch.