Forum home The potting shed

Do you have an allotment?

Hello there! I'm wondering if anyone is a keen gardener and has an allotment and would be willing to speak to me about their tips for growing fruit and veg. In particular, I'm interested in how you keep costs down and maximise the amount you grow. 

It's for a personal finance magazine called Moneywise. 

If anyone is interested, please could they let me know below. 

Many thanks, 
Tara

• ColinAColinA Posts: 234

Hello

I have a large allotment and grow everything from seed to keep down costs, every three years or so I buy in a large load of farmyard manure which is split with another allotmenteer again to keep costs under control.

Supplementary feeding is by chicken manure pellets and a home made Comfrey  liquid manure.

There is also a small compost in which when full the compost is used on half a dozen various fruit bushes.

Hope this is of use.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,881

Members of this forum have a Seed Swap thread each year, where they liaise to swap surplus seeds etc.  That can help to save quite a bit image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,954

Most allotment associations have a system to bulk buy (one seed order) and compost by the pallet,  and then pass on the savings to others.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • It strikes me as unlikely that those who seriously read a Personal Finance magazine would be misled into thinking that an allotment would be much of a money saver.

The best thing about "growing your own" is the satisfaction and the taste as well as the chance to eat organic produce.  The low cost of food available these days rarely offers the chance of saving money per se.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

We have an allotment thread easy to find if you look with great ideas and season by season experiences of actual growers image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160

Hi, Tara,

Being organic helps to keep down costs, we get free muck on our allotment but bags can be picked up for free along country lanes were farmers/stables put bags out for the taking. Making your own feed - comfrey/nettle or seaweed can all be made for free.

Growing fruit and veg which you like but which is expensive in shops ie - blueberries, strawberries, asparagus...this list could go on and on...I was suprised at the cost of rubarb and blackberries in the shops this year and both grow for fun on an allotment.   

An allotment is like a green gym...think of how much is saved not paying gym fee's...the number of times I've paid a years subscription into a club only to stop going  after a couple of months...

• Aster2Aster2 Posts: 629

As soon as you factor in your time (which you should in any serious financial consideration), any savings will disappear in a puff of smoke. So, to keep real costs down, you'll need to keep down the time needed to maintain the allotment as well.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,160
    Growing in narrow beds, about 4ft wide allows you to plant closer together and grow more veg.

Recycling keeps down cost, I've made a compost area and raised beds using pallets which cost nothing.
  • Scroggin.image 

There are certainly plenty of ways to cut your costs when you are already growing your own but if your main aim is simply to make/save money, there are easier means.

Maybe the OP should forget the money saving angle and simply produce an encouraging article..........something along the lines that growing food will probably offer more benefits overall than trying to beat the Stock Market.image